Detached Accessory Dwelling Units
Detached Accessory Dwelling Units or DADUs can be an extremely desirable feature in a home. Many buyers are willing to pay a premium to acquire a home with an existing income source as they may provide opportunities for extended family members, long-term tenants, and even short-term rental opportunities with the right permits in place.
Can I build a DADU on my Nashville property?
It depends. What’s your zoning?
- R80-R6, RM2-RM20, RM40-RM100, OR20-OR40, ORI and Commercial properties are eligible.
- Are you in a historical district? Additional research will be needed.
RS Zoning is typically not eligible
- though you may be able to build a detached structure with a single use. Example: a kitchenette OR a bathroom, but not both.
Building permit needed? Yes.
Should I get a survey? Yes.
- Be sure to learn about the setback requirements in your area.
Will a DADU increase my taxes?
- Probably so. Anything that increases the value of your home will likely increase the tax basis.
- Custom or stock?
- Stand-alone or above garage?
- How much land prep is involved? (tree removal, grading, backhoe)
- Separate meters allowed? Can your current line/box carry the additional load?
Metro Nashville’s website will be the definitive source for additional reading.
Additional terminology: Granny flat, pool house, guest house, casita, Airbnb, STRP, STR, ADU, garage apartment, detached apartment, carriage house, studio apartment,